Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The 3.1 monkeys



We wake up another day and the very first thing in the morning we are greeted by the sight of our warden Mr. Turthy's face. Mind you its not one of the beautiful sights you would want to wake up to or to the sound of his stick hitting against the rods of our cold metal beds. It sure is pleasant outside with the breeze and twilight pouring in through the open windows above our beds. But we look rather stoned, to react to either kind of sights and sounds all around us. Only like zombies we walk towards the bathroom at the end of our dormitory with half open eyes. We can still hear the warden shouting at one of the kids who is still asleep with his leg still dangling from his bed.

Last night we slept late because one of the guys was homesick and was whimpering as soon as it got dark. He looks a lot younger to be our class mate in eighth standard. He is shorter than most of us and he doesn't even have the thin grey kind of mustache most of us do. That is when one of the boys who is a little bit too concerned about everyone's well being went up to him to console him and put him to sleep.

We all got ready after the cold water bath in this chilly morning and got rid from the effects of insomnia. After we reached the classroom I knew this is going to be a day without much excitement because the first period was of Mathematics and the teacher, Mr. Kutty is very strict he doesn't allow any disturbances to take place in the class. Even if someone did break the barrier he would most probably get caught and that is the moment Mr. Kutty relished the most to think of brutal and sinister ways to punish the students. So when Mr. Kutty continued the pain staking and agonizingly slow process of taking the attendance of the class. I decided to do something funny and grab everyone's attention and then I thought I'd rather not attract unnecessary attention of Mr. Kutty, just then I noticed Rahil and Abhyankar or Abhay as he likes to call himself, prepare some kind of list under their bench. They looked quite active for the first period of the day that too Mr. Kutty's. Just then I thought if they were up to something, like last week, Abhay ate away my lunch which got him punished eventually. It made me grin on how I enjoyed watching him get punished. As I was savoring the moment I heard Mr. Kutty say something that I figured was addressed to me. He said, "Mr. Fawas is this the first time you heard your name?" I replied meekly, "no sir". "What is it that is making you grin shamelessly and look up towards the ceiling? We are trying to take the attendance of all the people whose body and mind is present with us today". I just smiled more with an embarrassed look. He continued, " sit down and please pay attention for the rest of the class". I nodded my head and sat down while everyone in the class was laughing.

Mr. Kutty started the lessons with the auspicious ritual of writing the day and date on the right hand corner of the green board. 25th March, Thursday. That is when it struck me what Rahil and Abhay were up to. They were preparing a list of all the eatables we were going to need for tonight's Pajama Party. Its a tradition handed down from our forefathers of our school that every Thursday we celebrate.

The warden has ordered lights out we all tucked ourselves in the beds and pretended to fall asleep until Mr. Turthy left. We all sneaked out of our beds in our pajamas and like soldiers on a mission we tip toed from one shadow spot to the other until we reached the boundary wall of the campus. We were five of us and I was the chosen one this week to jump over the wall and get all the things in the list. Its not a matter of privilege because when any of us gets caught getting out of the school campus the consequences can be quite serious. You might have to write imposition for a week, carry a board across your chest that says something like 'I am a sinner', you might even get expelled or get tortured in the dark chamber okay I made the last one up but still you cannot take these things lightly. All this thought made my heart race faster. Abhay held both of his hands interlocked and stood against the wall and I leaped over the barb wired wall effortlessly. That is when I said to myself " One small step for a man and a giant bag of eatables for all of my friends". We have carried out the mission objectives so far without getting noticed by any of the authorities. All this sense of adventure is what gives us the thrill and makes the Pajama party such an addiction and the feeling of accomplishment when we eat up all the hard earned food we had gathered. I collected all the junk food on the list and headed back to the campus threw the bag full of valuable junk food over the wall and then I jumped across too. I almost fell down brushed the dust of my pants and then I heard someone call out my name in a strong baritone, "Mr. Fawas". My heart skipped a beat I looked up to see a tall dark shadowy figure standing in front of me. The strong light behind the figure almost blinded my eyes just then I realised I recognised the voice and the shadowy figure I was facing. That is when I knew I was the wrong person at the wrong place at the wrong time.

5 comments:

  1. hey it's good !! i belive you have the potential to be a writer ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddy...The narration is even better than the last one, Especially the pajama party`s description.good one.. Dont delay the next post as u did for this one coz its ruining the fun. Hope to see more from u..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude it was a real good one. If it was to be a party y was it a pajama party? I mean it was hilarious at the same time ur narration was awesome.......... great one khalid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me! Am I reading Chentan's work here? Really I'm serious dude, you can narrate a story as well as anybody. Hope to see a novel soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Revanth.....The narration is gripping yet hillarious....a chetan bhagat kinda style....the pajama party was a good one .....the way u slipped in humor for eg the "torture in dark chambers" was simple but interesting(i like those witty lines)... don delay on further posts...

    ReplyDelete